On April 1, 2013, the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) was replaced by the federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) and the BC Provincial Sales Tax (PST).
The following questions and answers are intended to provide clarity regarding sales of new housing at a high level. For advice about specific transactions and situations, BCREA suggests individuals seek legal and/or accounting advice, as appropriate.
For more information, see:
- Canada Revenue Agency GST/HST Notices:
- 270, “Elimination of the HST in British Columbia in 2013 – Questions and Answers” (February 2012): www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice270/notice270-e.html
- 272, “Proposed Enhancements to the British Columbia New Housing Rebates and New Residential Rental Property Rebates” (March 2012): www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice272/notice272-e.html
- 276, "Elimination of the HST in British Columbia in 2013 – Transitional Rules for Real Property Including New Housing" (October 2012): www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice276/notice276-e.html
- Canada Revenue Agency GST/HST Info Sheet GI-156, “Elimination of the Harmonized Sales Tax in British Columbia: British Columbia Transition Tax on New Housing” (March 2013): www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/gi-156/gi-156-e.html
- BC Ministry of Finance - "What's Taxable Under the PST and What's Not?": www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/topic/BED47DA4EBDBA60A5F28622B8B2E1451/uploads/whats_taxable_whats_not.pdf